CHICAGO — Jonathan Loáisiga will not throw another pitch this season, and may not again for the Yankees.
The reliever will not return this year from a right flexor strain, manager Aaron Boone said Thursday, though it appears that the oft-injured 30-year-old will not need any surgery, at least at this point after meeting with well-known surgeon Dr. Keith Meister earlier this week.
“He’ll be done for the year, but nothing they have to go intervene on right now,” Boone said before the Yankees opened a series against the White Sox at Rate Field.
Loáisiga, who is expected to meet the team in Houston on Tuesday, has a $5 million club option for next season, though it would be a bit of a surprise if the Yankees pick it up given his extensive injury history.
Jonathan Loáisiga, pictured during a July 31 game, will no longer pitch this season.JASON SZENES/ NY POST
Boone said he “thinks” Loáisiga’s surgically repaired UCL — which was operated on last spring — is OK.
Flexor strains can often be precursors to Tommy John surgery, though for now that is not the case in Loáisiga’s situation.
Loáisiga had been on the injured list since early August with mid-back tightness but then was on the verge of a return before he experienced soreness in his elbow, which was initially diagnosed as a flexor strain as the Yankees sought additional opinions.